The Cincinnati Bengals are back to the .500 mark after a 22-7 win over the Miami Dolphins. With a 2-2 record (which includes a loss to their most hated rival), it’s tough to tell how much momentum they have with 25% of the season gone.
But here are 5 things we are certain of after the Miami win:
5 Things About the Cincinnati Bengals
1. Defense wins, baby. The Cincinnati Bengals’ D has been as on-again-off-again as the orange stripes on their helmets. Want proof? They logged 5 sacks against Miami but have given up 10 passing TDs in only 4 games. It’s only the 27th-ranked rushing defense in the NFL but have forced 6 turnovers (tied for 12th). They must develop consistency across the board.
2. Green is good. Total shocker, we know. AJ Green could have a career year in 2016, which is saying something considering the 5 straight Pro Bowls and 5 consecutive 1,000-yard seasons to start his NFL career. He’s on pace for 128 catches and 1,872 yards this year.
3. Andy Dalton’s getting it done. Despite losing WRs Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones to free agency, and running back Cedric Peerman to a preseason injury, AND taking an NFL-most 13 sacks, Dalton is producing. He leads the league with 1,234 passing yards. ‘Nuff said.
4. The Bengals miss TE Tyler Eifert. Especially in the red zone. They only scored 1 touchdown in 4 red-zone trips against Miami. A 6’6″ tight end would help a lot there.
5. Mike Nugent is money. The Cincinnati Bengals’ kicker was shaky in the preseason. Now that seems as distant a memory as the Bengals’ last playoff win (but it’ll happen soon, right?). Through 4 games, he is 12-13, and perfect (4-4) from 40-49 yards. That will bode well in close games.